Wired networking is available in residence halls, offices, conference areas, and some common areas. To connect to the wired network, you will need an Ethernet card on your computer, a Cat6 network cable, and your Network Username.
Before connecting to the wired network, please do the following:
Back to top
- Read and follow the network guidelines for responsible computing available here.
- Ensure your computer has the latest operating system updates.
- Windows users, go to the Microsoft Update site.
- Mac users, click on the Apple on your menu bar, and select Software Update.
- Install and update an antivirus program. Antivirus software is available for free.
- Students - Contact the UTS Service Desk or visit the iCARE Center for free antivirus software.
- Faculty and Staff - Download free antivirus software from VIP.
- Know your Network Username and password. Click here for more information.
Back to top
Instructions for connecting to the wired network in your residence hall are available at click here.
If you have problems connecting, contact the UTS Service Desk.
Faculty and Staff
UTS provides wired networking support and maintenance for departments under a Desktop Support Service Level Agreement.
If your department does not have a service agreement with UTS, your setup and maintenance will be provided by your network manager.
If you need assistance and have a Service Level Agreement with UTS or if you would like to check to see if you have an agreement, contact the UTS Service Desk.
Protect your identity when using any network.
- Do not give your password to anyone or respond to email requesting your password. University offices will not ask for your password.
- Protect personal information. Do not email passwords, social security numbers, credit card information, or bank information
- Keep your computer updated with the latest security updates and antivirus protection.
- Passwords should contain at least 8 characters, including a number, upper and lower case letters, and a special character such as !@#$%^&*-+
- Your network password expires every 6 months for security reasons. It can be reset in my.sc.edu.
For more information on safe computing and identity security, visit our UTS IT Security page.
Back to top