DID YOU KNOW? Thinking GREEN can also apply to computers and technology.
Here are some ways you can go GREEN at USC:
- Use a screensaver or power off when you're not using your computer.
- Print duplex if available and print only when necessary. You can remove ads and images when printing from the Web to save ink and paper.
- Turn off peripherals (such as PDA's, cell phones, printers, scanners, etc.) when they are not in use.
- Upgrade your old monitors to more energy-efficient LCD flat panels. Be sure to recycle old equipment appropriately.
- Dual-boot or "virtualize" your operating systems on a single computer to reduce the number of power-consuming machines at your desk.
- Use power-strips that automatically shut down any components that are absolutely not needed to run.
- Only use programs on your computer that are essential to what you are doing to help conserve energy.
- Physically unplug chargers from the wall to keep them from using energy while you're not using them.
- Set your computer's hard drive to "sleep" when you're not using it. This will extend the life of your hard drive and save energy.
- Shut down your machine at night and when it is not in use. Computers that are turned off use the least amount of energy compared to machines that are in "sleep" or "hibernation" mode.
If you want more information about any of these tips, please contact our UTS Service Desk at (803) 777-1800, Monday - Friday, 8am - 6pm. You can also visit us in our iCARE Center and talk to one of our technicians about how you can go GREEN @ USC.